Monday, October 18, 2010

Uncommon

I am doing a very unamerican thing, maybe it's plain unnatural:
I am choosing to move towards the pain.

I was talking to someone this weekend and told them about my hope to see Varney, even though we can't adopt him. She asked why I would do that to myself. I found it difficult to explain. I am choosing to see Michael and leave Liberia without him. I am choosing to visit Habbakuk's well and let that life-giving water flow over my fingers as I weep.

Life is a cup of joy and sorrow. We can either choose to drink all of it or none at all. If I am too careful and only try to sip the parts I want, I miss the fullness. I am comforted by Job: "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" With hope and faith, I accept it all. Whether God gives or takes away. I want to bless His name.

I am choosing the road less traveled, and less traveled for good reason! As the song below says, "What if the right was harder than the wrong thing, but I did it anyway?" What if I choose to enter the brokenness and pain of people and wasn't afraid it would overwhelm me? What if I reached the bottom of my own strength and found out His strength really is sufficient for me?

I know it's Uncommon, but I'm not the only one who is thinking that way.


To hear song go to: http://westarprogramsonline.com/tonydungy/

"UNCOMMON"
Written by: Matthew West
© 2009 Songs by Delaney (ASCAP)

What if there's something bigger for me out there
Than the comfort of a life on this middle ground?
I've played it safe but now I can't help but wonder
If maybe I've been missing out
'Cause I look around and see a sea of people
Everybody's moving in the same direction
And I think it's time to break away, break away

CHORUS
I wanna finally take the road less traveled
I wanna run away from anything typical
I want the world to see the life I'm livin'
And call itUncommon

What if the right thing was harder than the wrong thing
But I did it anyway?
Standing strong even when no one else was watching
What if I really lived that way?
Every heart has it's defining moment
This is mine and I'm not gonna miss it

CHORUS

I don't care if it makes me look different
I'm never letting go of my convictions
Let the world see the life I'm livin'
And call it Uncommon

What if I made it to the end of my days here
Only to find that my legacy is nowhere to be found
I don't wanna waste another second
Give me the strength to start right now

No comments:

Post a Comment