Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Liberia

Arriving in Liberia.

Maybe it was because I was tired and sore, maybe I just didn't have enough energy, but arriving in Liberia wasn't exactly how I thought it would be. We arrived a half hour early. So, I was slow gettting off the plane, I wasn't sure when or if my ride was coming. I was last to go through the check in. Since i wasn't planning on coming alone, I had no idea where I was staying. And that caused some problems at the window. The offical said they could send me back for not having an address. The man behind the window whispered to put some money in the passport. I stuck a $20 in and then there was no problem. Next I waited for luggage. Then the President arrived so everything shut down. When it started, my luggage wasn't there. (the carry on suitcase they made me check in MSP) I was last in line for filing a missing luggage report. Then I was last out of the airport, and no one was there. Three or four men were trying to help me. One was trying to call the only number I knew, which turned out not to be the number I could right her at anyway. After about 15 min, a white truck drove up, and the men said, "There are your friends!" Yes, it was them. So, then I cried. I tried not to, but really. And I haven't even told what happened in Brussels. I'm too mad. Let's just say a nasty woman cost me $254.

So, I met Pastor Peter and gave him a big hug. I was so glad to see him. They fixed my missing baggage claim so that they can call Peter when it comes in. Apparently it was likely in First Class since it was checked at the gate, but they must not have checked. Anyway, the airport is not in Monrovia, so we had a long drive.

We had pizza of all things when we got back. And I settled in our bed and breakfast. It's quite nice, considering the ads I saw in the airport were advertising hotels that had 24 hr electricity, hot and cold water and 6 channels. I found that humorous. I took a shower and went to bed.

Breakfast was good. Yes, we have coffee. I also had mango juice. It's OK. And then off to Peter's house. There are two main roads that are paved like US streets, one is double lanes, if that means anything, b/c the rules are drive however you can, just try not to hit someone. It's a little uncomfortable for some of my companions, but it doesn't bother me. My sit is the middle of the front b/c I'm the smallest. I like it b/c I can see everything.

It's not a shock to me. I'm not sure why, but it feels normal. Like I'm not really visiting for the first time. Maybe a good way to describe it is there are flowers growing in the rubble, if you are looking for them, they are everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment