Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Double Blessing

On Dec. 13, 2008 I received an email with a question mark in the subject line. I opened the email and was greeted with “This is Michael. He is 4 years old. Could he be your son?”

We had just begun the adoption process at the end of Nov. after years of waiting for the right time. I wasn’t anticipating a referral any time soon, so this was a surprise. Attached to the email was a picture of a little boy. That picture has been on our refrigerator ever since, even though we promised ourselves we would not get attached. As I inquired more about Michael, I learned that his paperwork isn’t through the government yet and that he has a half brother. I don’t know how you are supposed to feel when you see the picture of your son, but I felt confused. I actually emailed some of my friends that had adopted or were in the process of adopting to ask how you know that a child is supposed to be yours.

If you have read the beginning of our story, you know that in the spring of ’05 I had a sense that there was a baby boy in Africa that was supposed to be my son. This little boy was a baby at that time. I think what threw me was that he had a sibling. Of course I immediately began to wonder if we could adopt them both and I felt overwhelmed. Now, if you know me, I am not easily overwhelmed. I love a challenge and often find an easy life boring. But, this felt too big for me. I decided to believe that maybe this little boy did not live with his brother and maybe they weren’t really that close and maybe someone near Eau Claire would adopt his brother and we could stay in touch. So, that’s where we left it until Feb. 3 when I received the full report on the two boys. When I saw their pictures and read their story, I knew I could not be the one to separate them. Either we would choose to adopt them both or allow someone else to adopt them.

I had delayed sending in the I600 (immigration form) until we had saved up a little more money and I was preparing to send it in that week. On that form it asks how many children you are planning to adopt. A couple of days before Feb. 3, I wrote down that we would adopt 2 children. I thought, “Well, if there is any chance that we might adopt two I better write it in now.” So, when Mark and I got this information, I had already been thinking about it. I don’t know what changed in me, but this time I didn’t feel overwhelmed or scared. I actually hoped that we would be able to do it. As well as sending in the I600, I had also gathered up the rest of the documents we needed for the home study. I send them in with a note that we would like to talk about adopting two children. Our social worker got back to us and set up a time to talk. Honestly, I was nervous about it all week. But, Thurs. Feb. 12 our social worker agreed to approve us for two little boys!

I was so excited, I wanted to call someone and tell them, but honestly, I wasn't sure many of my friends and family would be excited too. So I really didn't tell many people right away. But, I did have the chance to share the story briefly in church on Sunday. Yesterday, Mark mentioned it on the radio. So, I firgured it was time to tell the whole story of this crazy journey of love that we are on.

No comments:

Post a Comment