Monday, December 14, 2009

Could this be your son?

One year ago yesterday, I opened an email titled- ?. In that email was a picture of a dirty little boy with a big belly and a sad little face. And: This is Michael. He is four years old. Could he be your son?

I don't know what goes through other adoptive parents heads the first time they see their child, but I was filled with emotions I couldn't put words to. I even asked some friends if there was a "normal" way people, mothers, were supposed to feel. Well, it's been a year now and I still feel many mixed emotions, often.

Yesterday we were at the Peder Eide concert at Trinity Lutheran. We went to hear him sing his new song- Why Wouldn't I. I used to have it on my blog page. We had the chance to talk to Peder after the concert. It was a very special way for me to celebrate, yes, I can use that word, to remember, that one year ago, I saw my boy for the first time.

I just got the info I was waiting for in regards to the water well. In connection with that, I received a message from the pastor who is currently Michael's foster dad. He said, "Extend my greetings to Michael's parents." It was the first time anyone has called us Michael's parents. Joy and sorrow. Hope and longing. All part of the journey of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment