Sunday, December 11, 2011

Small Steps

I don't know if you've ever thought about writing an autobiography. I haven't really given it serious consideration, but a while ago Mark and I were talking about what we would name it. My title was "Small steps in the Right Direction". That reminds me of the scripture that has guided me this year is Hebrews 12:1-4.

 1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. 3 Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up.

We are all on a journey. Mine has felt like a marathon and I am not a runner! And, learning to pace myself takes discipline. So, I am learning to throw off distractions and let go of little sins that trip me up. I am focused on Jesus. I have a race to run. Not only that, but 1 Cor. 9:24 says:

24 Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! 

 I will run to win and not give up. To do that, I accept that joy and sorrow are bound together on the journey.. If I refuse to accept sorrow, I am disqualified from joy. Look back at Jesus' example from Heb. 12 it was the joy before Him that gave Him the courage to endure the cross. My blog may look like one of continual sorrow.  But I believe 2Cor. 4:17.

For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever

I choose not to waste sorrow in my life, but to let it shape me and change me. I refuse to become hard, but allow my heart to be broken. I have yet to experience a pain so deep that God's mercy did not carry me through. 

Today my heart is heavy because my dear brother in Liberia, Pastor Peter, is very ill. He has experienced severe pain for over a week. I have prayed. I have asked others to pray. I don't understand why God allows him to suffer so much. My heart has felt bruised. I know Papa allows us to ask our "why" questions, although He rarely answers them. I just keep going back to the song I posted recently "Trust His Heart". 
God is too wise to be mistaken
God is too good to be unkind
So when you don't understand
When you don't see His plan
When you can't trace His hand
Trust His heart

1 comment:

  1. "...joy and sorrow are bound together on the journey" -- beautifully woven words!

    ReplyDelete